DSA - SPORTS AND GAMES (BASKETBALL)
Kent Ridge Secondary School will offer DSA to eligible students via Floorball, Badminton and Basketball. This is in line with our Learning for Life Programme which harnesses the philosophy of Olympism to develop our students through the interaction of mind, body and will.
Basketball is a sport that can be played in indoors and outdoors. Basketball has player positions where all players complement each other to outperform their opponents. It is a fast-paced and exciting game where there are many individual techniques for displaying skills such as ball-handling, shooting, passing, dribbling, shot-blocking and rebounding. All players are required to possess speed, agility, excellent dribbling and shooting skills.
The CCA-Basketball programme has proven to be an effective way to develop our ‘B’ and ‘C’ division players (boys and girls) to become determined, resilient and confident individuals. The provision of opportunities for our players to hone their leadership and game skills further complements the programme to develop 21st century competencies in our players. The Basketball programme also exposes students to different level of challenges and provides guidance from our dedicated, experienced and professional coaches.
- South Zone 'B' Division Inter-School Basketball Championship (Girls) 2019 – Fairplay Award
- South Zone 'B' Division Inter-School Basketball Championship (Girls) 2018 – Fairplay Award
- ActiveSG-BAS Developmental League (Girls) 2018 – 3rd Runner-Up
- Outram Invitational Cup ('C' Division Boys) 2018 – 1st
- Elites Basketball League ‘B’ Division (Boys) 2017 – 1st Runner-Up
1. Elementary Training Programme
This programme introduces the students to basic Basketball techniques e.g. principles and skills to dribble, pass, shoot and defend, as well as fitness training to improve stamina and footwork.
Additional training sessions are organised in preparation for competitions. Regular friendly matches are also arranged to help our players gain more game experience.
Training Frequency: 2 sessions (3 hours each) per week on Monday and Thursday (Girls), Wednesday and Friday (Boys)
2. Advanced Training Programme
This programme is customised specifically for selected Basketball players, with a focus to sharpen their techniques and skills, as well as game play strategies, fitness and mental preparedness.
After processing the application forms and documents, shortlisted DSA applicants will be notified of the dates of the trials and interviews by post or email.
|Phase 1 – Application and Trials||
1. Shortlisted applicants will be invited for a selection trial.
2. The Basketball selection trial will consist of the following:
3. Each applicant will be assessed by a panel of teacher(s) and coach(es) with a set of rubrics. The rubrics for assessment are the same for all applicants.
4. Applicants’ scores are tabulated and those that meet the school’s requirements will advance to the next phase.
|Phase 2 – Interview||
1. Shortlisted applicants will be notified by post or email to attend an interview.
2. The applicant’s suitability and aptitude will be assessed by a panel of teachers and coaches.
DSA - Sports and Games (Basketball): Mr Tan Siang Yong
HOD PE/CCA: Mr Vincent Heng
Kent Ridge Secondary School
147 West Coast Road